Translate

Monday, June 23, 2014

London: The London Eye, Big Ben and Parliament

Man I am far behind on my posting. Hello everyone! I am sorry I haven't been blogging, I have been really busy with classes and getting accustomed to living in London. So many little things you would not expect are different. Like how I need to veer left to avoid people instead of going right. Since everything is backwards I almost ran into multiple Londoners who have given me sneering looks. I'm such an American.

So my real first day in London we took a trip to some very iconic London scenes.

Our first stop was the London Eye. Now for all of my fellow Whovians we know that the London Eye is really a big signal that turns all of the manikins into living plastic. Plus the Nestine Consciousness lives underneath the eye so it was even more exciting for me as a Doctor Who nerd.




It was so surreal to see this image in person instead of on a TV screen. What made the experience even better, we got to go onto the London Eye!!


While waiting in line for the London Eye I caught a glimpse of Big Ben! That is when it really hit me. I was in London. Big Ben is right in front of me!





I took photos while on the London Eye. Most of them are from the top of the Eye, and yes I took a selfie at the top. It was an incredible experience to see the entirety of London on my second day.

After getting off the London Eye I walked towards Big Ben and Parliament. 




I was speechless as I got closer to Big Ben. Seeing a sight that I have only gazed on TV or pictures was now right in front of me. I almost skipped down Westminster Bridge towards the large clock. Another Whovian moment I was thinking about alien spaceships crashing into Big Ben and splashing into the Thames below me.

One of the best things about that area of London were the street performers.






They ranged from musicians, to living statues, to bubble makers. All of them were incredibly friendly and put a smile on my face. I gave a few pence to the musicians but the living statues would not take money, they just wanted to make people smile. 

Later that evening I partook in a treasure hunt of London. My group and I had to find specific clues and places in central London. There was also a basic quiz asking questions like who is the Prime Minister and where does he live?

We did our best, but in the end we just wandered and enjoyed the scenery around us.


Later that evening we went to a local pub and drinks were on the University! I got a glass of wine (since the beer options were a bit lacking) and then ended my day with some bangers and mash.


That was my second day in London.

Until next time. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment