Translate

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

London: A Whole New World!

Hello mates!

So the beginning of my adventure into the city of London starts off with me falling asleep in the cab. I was so exhausted and the jet lag began to set in that I passed out in the back seat of our cab. So most of London I missed.
I was able to wake up just before pulling into my new home for the next six weeks.

It's a small little flat in Hoxton. I get my own room and share a bathroom and large kitchen with eight other students. We all get along very well and understand who's food is who's so there is no confusion.

After hauling my suitcase into my room we all walked to the closest underground station and purchased Oyster cards to use on the tube and busses. It cost be about £31 for a weekly pass, which came to be about $60. I about choked when I saw that conversion. It is not cheap to live here, but I love it anyways.

After purchasing Oyster cards we all decided to head back and unpack. I unpacked enough to clear off a space on my bed. I then passed out and got a good hour and a half power nap. Amazingly that power nap then had me on UK time. I was really surprised with how quickly I got adjusted to the new time zone, but I am not complaining.

After completing my unpacking I joined a large group and we walked around Hoxton. We ended up splitting up (because our group was over 16 people) and then went to an Italian restaurant for dinner.

After dinner we looked for some local pubs. We walked around until we found ourselves at the entrance of The Red Market. It is a night market and street food place with a bar and dance floor. We stayed for almost an hour and I had my first legal drink in the UK.


We then hopped to a local indoor pub and watched the football game England vs Italy. I got another drink and we stayed for a bit. We left before the game ended and I decided to go home. I arrived back in my flat about 23:30 UK time (that's 11:30 PM).

In all my first day in London was amazing! I look forward to catching everyone up on the rest of my trip.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment