Translate

Thursday, June 26, 2014

London: Sherlock Holmes Adventures

So who here are Sherlock Holmes fans? Read the stories? Seen the movies? Watch the BBC TV show? Well this is the post that is going to make you fangirl all over your computer.

First stop, filming location of the BBC show Sherlock.


There it is! Speedy's Cafe. We decided we were going to have afternoon tea there before hitting the real Sherlock Holmes stuff on Baker Street.




What is so fantastic about the location of filming it the flat they turn into 221B is inhabited. People actually live there! Man I would't mind having my flat used as the set of Sherlock.

I enjoyed some tea and an egg sandwich while in Speedy's.


It was really cool to be sitting in the little cafe. We could not sit where Watson and Mycroft do in the show since someone was already there, but it was still an incredible experience.

Next stop, Baker Street!




 We got off at the Baker Street tube station and it was already decorated with the face of Sherlock Holmes. We got out of the station and headed straight down Baker Street towards 221B.





It was amazing to see the sign and the doorway into such a well known story. I will admit the fangirling began when I saw the doorway. I am such a fan of the stories that it was surreal to see it right in front of me.

Almost immediately I purchased my ticket (which was £10) and got in line.


We waited about a good 15 minutes to get into the museum, but that gave me time to read my pamphlet ticket. When we finally got to the door we went on a self guided tour of the flat. Everything there is meant to look like it is described in the stories.

The first room encountered, once ascending the stairs, is the room of Sherlock Holmes which was in the rear adjoining the study.


From Doctor Watson's descriptions the sitting room overlooking Baker Street was quite small. There is one occasion where Holmes emerges from his bedroom and took one spring across the study to close the curtains.




In the sitting room you were allowed to sit in the chairs and there were hats to take pictures with.







I thoroughly enjoyed getting the chance to hold the pipe, even though I am wearing Watson's hat.

Heading up to the second floor we entered Watson's room which is next to Mrs. Hudson's.







Finally there were figures of some famous mysteries of Sherlock and Watson.






One thing that stuck out to me was a collection of letters written to Sherlock Holmes. I did not know you could write to him.


After the tour we took pictures with the policeman outside of the door.


Once again, I know Sherlock has the pipe but I wanted it too badly.

After the tour we went into the museum shop and I did get a few things. Some gifts for family and friends back home.

Walking back to the tube station I did see a sign that thoroughly amused me that I wish to end my post with.


No comments:

Post a Comment